Man arrested in fatal shooting of Migos rapper Takeoff

HOUSTON (AP) — Police have arrested a 33-year-old man on murder charges in the shooting of rapper Takeoff, who they say was an “innocent bystander” in gunfire outside a Houston bowling alley last month.

Patrick Xavier Clark was peacefully taken into custody Thursday night, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said Friday. Clark’s arrest came a day after another man was charged in connection with the shooting that left two other people injured.

Clark was held in jail on Friday awaiting a hearing. Court records don’t list an attorney who could speak for him.

Born Kirsnick Khari Ball, Takeoff was the youngest member of Migos, the Grammy-nominated rap trio from the Atlanta suburbs that also included his uncle Quavo and cousin Offset.

The 28-year-old musician was one of three people said to have been shot outside the downtown bowling alley around 2:30 a.m. on Nov. 1, when a dispute broke out as about 40 people left a private party in the alley. Police have said another man and a woman suffered non-life-threatening gunshot wounds in the shooting, with at least two people opening fire.

police sergeant Michael Burrow said at a press conference on Friday that the shooting followed a dispute over a dice game, but that Takeoff was not involved and was “an innocent bystander.”

On Wednesday, authorities announced the arrest of Cameron Joshua in connection with the shooting. Joshua was charged with illegally possessing a gun at the time Takeoff was shot, but prosecutors said the 22-year-old is not believed to have fired the gun. Christopher Downey, Joshua’s attorney, told reporters he has seen nothing to suggest his client was involved in Takeoff’s murder.

Burrow said Friday that investigators believe it was Clark’s gunfire that killed the rapper.

Fans and other artists, including Drake and Justin Bieber, celebrated Takeoff’s musical legacy at a memorial service in Atlanta last month.

Migos’ record label, Quality Control, mourned Takeoff’s death in a statement on Instagram that it attributed to “senseless violence”.

Migos first broke through with the huge hit “Versace” in 2013. They had four Top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, although Takeoff didn’t appear on their multi-week No. 1 hit “Bad and Boujee” featuring Lil Uzi Vert was standing. They released a trilogy of albums called “Culture”, “Culture II” and “Culture III”, the first two of which reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart.

Takeoff and Quavo released a joint album “Only Built for Infinity Links” just weeks before his death.

__

Bleiberg reported from Dallas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *